Thursday, February 4, 2010

This Wasn't The Week I'd Planned

So as luck (or science... or prayer) would have it, my white blood cells came back up and I was able to get my treatment on Monday. I had been rather pessimistic about my white blood cell count, especially since I'd been very sniffly all weekend and felt that all my extra white blood cells must be going to fight that. But it was a nice surprise and I was glad (how ironic) to get the injections.

Oddly enough, the treatment didn't hit me as hard as the last time. My friend from NYU, Jackie, came over to "babysit" me that afternoon. She does a lot of that in general, and said I was better behaved than most of the kids she looks after! As we were talking, I told her that at some point when the drugs really hit me, I would just randomly get up and announce that I needed to sleep. That's how I remember the treatment hitting me last time. But instead, after almost 90 minutes of hanging out, I still felt decent. Not great... but not "I need to sleep NOW" bad. I'm grateful that this round didn't knock me out as much as the previous, but I think it's also made the recovery process less easy to mark. I remember last time being encouraged that the first day was a 2, the second day was a 4, and the third day was a 6. This time, all three days just seemed like a 4-5. It's hard to be encouraged by no marked daily improvement.

Nevertheless, day four started like a 5 and ended like a 7, so that's good! I was nauseous and tired in the morning, and ate very light for lunch. But sitting here, typing on the couch to you, I'm stuffing my face with baked lays and starbursts... so something went right! My friend Jack texted me the previous night to see if I wanted to go see A View From The Bridge with him tonight. Though I wasn't feeling great, I said yes anyway. If I can sit on my couch and watch TV, then I can sit in a theater and watch live people do what people on TV do. Plus, I hadn't seen a show in a really long time, and this one looked really good (Scarlett Johansson and Liev Schrieber in an Arthur Miller classic!? These are the things that get me excited!! I was trying to think of two sports stars in some type of big sporting event that was comparable, but I got bored and decided to move on with writing the blog). ANYWAY, I went, had a great time, and proved to myself that I can still do something that I have always loved doing (even 4 days after a treatment).

I have to say, the other big booster of my spirits this week has been my almost eight month old nephew, Luke. Now, most people know that I have NEVER been a children person. But something about just looking at a picture of him makes me smile. I mean, watch this video of him playing peekaboo in the bathtub and tell me that you're not smiling!!??!! I can't tell you how many times I've watched that in the past few days. I hear he may be coming to visit me soon, and I'm super excited! :-)

This weekend I'll post more pictures of famous Ryan hairstyles that I've received and found in my own archives. I've also received several hats in the mail and will model those in pictures for everyone to see too (trust me, some of them are a hoot!)

2 comments:

  1. Ryan,

    So glad you found my blog and left a comment. I know how nice it was for me to connect with others who had "been there, done that" when I was getting started. I have lots and lots to tell you, but I'll keep it to my top bits of advice here...

    First of all, let me be the one to tell you that yes, treatment sucks...but, you'll get through each one, and soon enough you'll be counting down the last 30 days like I am...I never thought I'd be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm sorry your treatment got held off for counts. I cried the first time that happened to me (treatment #3). Since then, I've asked to be treated regardless of counts, and I've done just fine - even with some REALLY low counts. Also sorry you learned about the food thing the hard way...so did I. I can't even talk about what I ate...ugh. As for hair loss...I'm almost 10 treatments in and still have a full (but much thinner) head of hair...and still shave my legs. Apparently they discontinued those fringe benefits.

    As for my blog...yes, there are bad days. Yes, there are times that I've felt like giving up. But, there are many, many more good days than bad, and at the end of the day, I'm really grateful for the perspective I have because I have cancer. Not many people our age are lucky enough to be given a new outlook on just how wonderful life is.

    What I really want you to know is that everything you're feeling is normal...well, it's our normal, as cancer warriors. It's really hard to feel like it's normal as a young adult dealing with cancer...but I'm here for you any time you need me. I hate to welcome you to the cancer club, but one of the benefits is that it doesn't matter who you are, if I know you, or where you're from...you've got me to support you every step of the way. We cancer warriors take care of one another.

    Sending love,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video is adorable. I'm glad you're still able to go out do things. I'm sure it does wonders for you. Keep healin!

    ReplyDelete